Monthly Archives: February 2016
1) Read of the week…
Tom Shatel’s sit down with Husker Head Coach Mike Riley has some interesting quotes from coach regarding his approach entering year two. Since Riley took over in November 2014 he has praised the state of Nebraska’s
football culture. However, since he got to NU there’s been a school of thought which says he might not 100 percent understand what he signed up for. It’s one thing to admire the state’s big expectations. It’s another to understand what it’ll take to hit the mark as a Husker. The last time I was in a Riley presser was during bowl prep in late December. He talked about team athleticism and speed needing to increase top to bottom. He also said he looked forward evaluating the whole team. Those words appear not to be hollow. Hank Hughes was let go. Dispatching an assistant after one season says Riley knows the status quo wasn’t going to be enough moving forward. There also seems to be an acknowledgement that those crazy loses could have been avoided with plays made earlier in games. Will Riley’s openness to tweaks automatically equal more wins? No, but it can hurt.
2) A food thought…
Sauce doesn’t make a restaurant, but it sure can put one over the edge. If you haven’t had Cane’s sauce at Raising Canes you need to get there. It’s got a little pepper with a tang comparable to the fry sauce at Freddy’s. Add in the Texas toast, crinkle cut fries, and lightly breaded chicken strips and you’ve got something going. Plus, they’ve got Coke and sweet tea with pellet ice. There’s nothing to dislike here.
3) To the mats…
Omaha hosts the Nebraska high school championships this weekend. Wrestling certainly is less understood than the mainstay sports (basketball, football, baseball, etc). Great stories still exist though, and some always get kicked up as we approach state. As part of our preview coverage this week, I talked with Central City senior wrestler Jeremiah Dickinson. He’s undefeated, after getting third and second at state the past two years. Most of his summer was spent on the Bison’s wrestling deck. Regardless of how he fares, it’s hard not to be impressed by a 17 or 18 year old who is so disciplined.
Events to note this weekend…
- Omaha, Thursday-Saturday
- We’ll have highlights all three days on NTV and reaction on Sunday too. Tons of area story lines. Can Amherst win another team title? Does the aforementioned Dickinson stay perfect? Grand Island Senior High seems to be legit in Class A. Can they start another streak? We’ll know answers to those questions and others by Saturday night.
Storm Home Stand
- Friday, 7:30pm Sioux Falls @ Tri-City
- Saturday, 7:05pm Omaha @ Tri-City.
- The Storm are finally coming home. Six straight on the road now giving way to five at home. They can win a third straight against Sioux Falls Friday to really zap the Stampede’s momentum. Saturday might be even bigger. Omaha trails Tri-City in the standings. A win would be another big shot of mojo for T.C., and would stall the Lancers’ push a little bit.
UNK Men’s Basketball
- Saturday, 4:00pm Lindenwood @ UNK
- It was close earlier this season in St. Charles. As I write this theses two are tied for second in the MIAA, and they’re back-to-back in the region too. Needless to say, this one’s important.
If you want to share your thought feel free to reach out on Twitter at @NTVBrett.
Thanks for reading.